Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Things have never been more obvious to me.
In a sense I am ready to depend on the Lord now more than ever.
Sometimes it's a matter of looing at ourselves first before critisising others.
Symbolic-interaction perspective.
That's what I learn in Sociology. I prefer the fuctional perspective actually, because it actually focuses on what works.
Unfortunately people tend to prefer symbolic interaction, because we are singaporeans. How your society is like always spills into your organisations.
We are such a guarded people I don't think the gahmen needs to put those social awareness ads about the MRT bomb anyway. Who will put the bomb? They will probably be so kiasee that they disarm the bomb and run away.
Today after class, two classmates (Maelle, a French girl and Rahmat, a malay guy) were talking outside school when this caucasian guy with a strong accent came up to us asking,
"Is there anyplace here I can get some food, like a burger, or a beer..."
Maelle helpfully directed him to Cafe Cartel and off he went. Within a minute though he was back and this time he said,
"You guys look really nice and all, could I have your phone numbers? I'm here all alone, at least I can go out with someone for a drink"
Like all guarded andcautious Singaporeans (Maelle is french by birth but a Singaporean by Nationality), the three of us were slightly taken aback. The caucasian looked disappointed and said,
"I'm so sorry...maybe it's not your culture to just talk to people...in Spain we talk to everyone."
I asked him at that point,
"I'll give you my email address, is that ok with you?"
He looked so happy and agreed. So I keyed it into his phone (nokia 6820 haha). Maelle and Mat took their leave and I started to talk to this guy as I walked to my bus-stop. Turns out that his name is Daniel (pronounced Danielle) and he's from Madrid, Spain. He's an engineer sent here for 1 and a 1/2 months to learn from the local branch of his Spainish company here. He's been to many countries and simply likes making friends all over the place. But he's been disappointed that Singaporeans are so guarded and they all speak "our language", which is Mandarin. And he cannot understand, therefore he did not dare to talk to anyone else.
There were a few more things we talked about but hey, now I have a Spanish friend too hahah.
I hope we become more open and more sociable. I'll update you guys if I talk to Daniel again =)
YZ

1 Comments:

Blogger ceadsearc said...

hello jonny=)

nice blog=)

how come u[re never on msn>?

shawn

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home